Possible Impact to Special Enrollment Exam Appointments
Please be aware that some upcoming Special Enrollment Exam (SEE) appointments may be impacted due to staff vacancies at certain test center locations. Prometric, who administers the SEE exam, has been impacted by personnel deficiencies due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, some SEE candidates’ appointments may be rescheduled on short notice to an alternate test center location, date, and time. If a candidate’s appointment is affected, they will be notified via email with new appointment details and instructions.
Special Enrollment Exam (SEE) delays and cancellations
Prometric test centers and staff will comply with local, state and federal regulations and guidelines to safeguard the health and well-being of test takers and staff.
Candidates will be required to bring and wear a mask during the entirety of their time at the test center. Either a medical mask or cloth face covering is acceptable. Please note that masks with exhale valves will not be permitted in test centers. Any candidate that comes to the test center without a mask will not be allowed to test and will not be eligible for a free reschedule. Candidates must follow all safety procedures at their test center location.
Please access the links below to check the status of your test center and understand the safety requirements:
- Site Status List: Prometric test center site list where candidates will be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to testing due to local mandates or guidelines. Anyone testing in these centers should be prepared to present the documentation provided to you at the time of your vaccination, in whatever form your medical provider issued.
- Social Distancing Policies: Social distancing policies and test center procedures that candidates are expected to follow while at the test center.
- Test-Taker FAQ: Frequently asked questions.
Due to COVID-19, appointments may be impacted due to local, state or federal guidance and/or test center availability. If this occurs, you will receive an email informing you that your appointment has been rescheduled and it will include new appointment information. In addition, you will receive a second email explaining what to do if your new appointment date, time and location does not work for you.
All information above is subject to change in the interest of ensuring the health, safety, and well-being of SEE candidates as well as Prometric test center staff. Please check regularly for updates.
If you have additional questions, please call 800-306-3926 (toll-free) or +1 443-751-4193 (toll) Monday -Friday from 8:00 a.m.- 9:00 p.m. (ET).
Extension of the two-year carryover period – Updated July 9, 2020
Generally, candidates who pass a part of the examination can carry over a passing score up to two years from the date they passed that part of the examination. To provide candidates flexibility in testing during this period of global emergency, we are extending the two-year period to three years. This applies to any examination parts that had not expired as of February 29, 2020 and any examination parts passed on June 1, 2020 and later. For example, assume a candidate passed Part 1 on November 15, 2019. Subsequently the candidate passed Part 2 on February 15, 2020. That candidate has until November 15, 2022 to pass the remaining part. Otherwise, the candidate loses credit for Part 1. The candidate has until February 15, 2023 to pass all other parts of the examination or will lose credit for Part 2.
In another example, assume a candidate passed Part 1 on June 1, 2020. Subsequently the candidate passed Part 2 on September 1, 2020. That candidate has until June 1, 2023 to pass the remaining part. Otherwise, the candidate loses credit for Part 1. The candidate has until September 1, 2023 to pass all other parts of the examination or will lose credit for Part 2.
IRS SPECIAL ENROLLMENT EXAMINATION
Individuals wishing to become an IRS Enrolled Agent must take and pass the Special Enrollment Exam (SEE). The SEE is a comprehensive three-part exam. Candidates may take the three exam parts (Individuals; Businesses; and Representation, Practices, and Procedures) in any order. Prospective Enrolled Agents must pass all three exam parts within a two-year period to apply for enrollment. Here are the steps involved.
1. Create an Account
All first time users must create a new Prometric account. Access step by step instructions on how to create an account and establish a new user ID and password.
2. Review the Candidate Information Bulletin
Before you sign up to take the SEE, please review the Enrolled Agent Special Enrollment Examination Candidate Information Bulletin. This bulletin will provide you with important information about the examination and the process for becoming an Enrolled Agent. Click here to review the Candidate Information Bulletin
Important Changes to the Break Policy - Beginning May 1, 2020, the Special Enrollment Exam (SEE) will include one scheduled 15-minute break.
- Once you have answered questions 1-50, completed your review of your answers, and acknowledged you have completed section one, the test timer will stop for up to 15 minutes. After acknowledging that you have completed the first section of the exam you will no longer be able to access the first section of the test content, including making changes to your answers.
- You may choose to decline the scheduled break and continue testing.
- If you choose to take the scheduled break you will leave the testing room, adhering to all security protocols.
- If you have not returned and started the second section (questions 51-100) of the exam prior to the expiration of the 15 minutes, the exam clock will restart.
- You are allowed to take additional unscheduled breaks; however, the exam clock will continue to count down during any unscheduled break.
3. Review Exam Content Outlines
Click below for a list of test topics for each examination part.
Track change versions
See comparison chart for the new domain weightings for each part of the 2021-2022 exam.
4. Prepare for your Exam
- Frequently Asked Questions
- SEE Tutorial
- Understanding Your Score Report
- Results Reported for the SEE
- Test Drive Your Examination for Free
- “What to Expect on Test Day” Video
- Review Test Center Regulations
- Sample Test Questions and Answers
The Special Enrollment Examination is a three part test. The Examination parts can be taken in any order.
Examinations are administered by computer at Prometric test centers.
Test centers are located in most major metropolitan areas. Most locations are open on Saturdays and some locations are open on Sundays and evenings.
International testing for the Special Enrollment Exam (SEE) is available at the dates and locations below.
You can schedule an examination appointment at any time online at Prometric.com/see, or by calling 800-306-3926 (toll-free) or 443-751-4193 (toll), between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.
Note: All international testing information is subject to change in the interest of ensuring the health, safety, and well-being of SEE candidates and Prometric test center staff.
Dec. 6 - 19, 2021
Dec. 6 - 27, 2021
December 6 , 2021 - Jan. 7, 2022
Jan. 31 - Feb. 13, 2022
New Delhi, India
New Delhi, India
* The December 6 – 19, 2021 international testing windows for London, England and Tokyo, Japan have been impacted due to COVID-19 travel and safety restrictions. Candidates who have a SEE exam scheduled in London or Tokyo during the December window will receive an email informing them that their appointment has been impacted. They will automatically be rescheduled into the January 31 - February 13, 2022 window. If the new appointment date and time does not work, candidates can reschedule their exam online or contact the call center at 1-800-306-3926 (toll-free) or +1 443-751-4193 (toll), 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. (ET), Monday through Friday.
The easiest way to schedule an exam is online.
1. Login to your account
2. Select “Schedule Now” next to the test name under “Ready to schedule”.
3. Select Test Center, Date & Time, and pay for your exam – This completes the scheduling process.
4. Select Schedule and pay for your exam.
After scheduling your exam, please review your appointment confirmation email to ensure that you have the correct exam, date, time, and testing location. If changes are needed, testing candidates can call 1-800-306-3926 (toll-free) or +1 443-751-4193 (toll), M-F 8:00am-9:00pm ET.
Test Accommodations Candidates
If you require testing accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other accommodations, please complete the testing accommodation request packet and call Prometric at 800.967.1139 to speak with a Testing Accommodations Advocate.
Candidates seeking testing accommodations must submit a completed request packet. The health care provider who made the diagnosis or who is treating you must document the nature of the disability or illness on their portion of the packet and must provide their signature. This documentation will help us determine the appropriate testing accommodations. Generally, at least 30 days’ advance notice is required to arrange testing accommodations and there is no additional charge to candidates.
Access a listing of accommodations that can be provided.
Access a listing of accommodations pre-approved permissible items.
- Review your appointment confirmation email to confirm your appointment time.
- Arrive at the testing center at least 30 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Review driving directions. Allow sufficient time for travel, parking, locating the test center, and checking in. At some testing centers, there is a fee for parking.
- Bring a valid, original, non-expired government-issued ID with a current photo and signature.
- Consider wearing layers of clothing, which can be removed due to variability in temperature in the test area.
- Prescriptions and bottled water may not be brought into the testing room but can be kept in the test center locker for access if needed.
- Consider bringing your own soft ear plugs or use the test center-provided sound dampening ear phones to decrease distractions during the test.
Testing fees are generally not refundable or transferable. In very limited situations such as death of the candidate or accidentally signing up for the examination twice for the same date and time, refunds will be considered. Access the Refund Form to request a refund.
INQUIRIES AND APPEALS
Written inquiries or appeals concerning the registration, scheduling or test administration should be sent to Prometric Candidate Care. We will generally respond within 20 business days of receipt. Access the Inquiry/Appeal Form to request an appeal.
How many times within a testing window can I take each exam part?
Each exam part may be taken 4 times per testing window, which runs from May 1 to the end of February
How can I get a copy of my score report?
Beginning May 1, 2020, you can print your score report by following the instructions below:
- Go to https://scorereports.prometric.com.
- Enter your full exam confirmation number. It must be 16 digits in length and include leading zeros, when applicable.
- Enter your last name.
- Click “Validate Score Report” button.
- Once the requested score report appears on your screen, click the green “Print Score Report” button.
Note: You may also obtain score report results from prior test attempts by entering the required information as explained above.
Since the SEE exam is divided into two sections, how long do I have to complete each section?
You have a total of 3 hours and 30 minutes (210 minutes) to complete both sections of the exam. The first section of the exam contains 50 questions numbered 1-50, and the second section contains 50 questions also numbered 51-100. You must manage the clock and allow yourself enough time to answer all 100 questions contained in both sections of the exam within 210 minutes. There is a clock at the top of the computer screen that shows the total amount of exam time remaining (for both sections). In addition, you will receive three separate alerts telling you when you have 105 minutes remaining, 30 minutes remaining and 15 minutes remaining.
Contacts by Location
Hours of Operation
|United States & Outside the U.S.||1-800-306-3926 (toll-free) or +1 443-751-4193 (toll)||Mon - Fri: 8:00 am-9:00 pm ET|