Prometric continues to evaluate the open capacity status of test centers in our global network. To help ensure the protection of our employees and test takers and to remain in compliance with governmental mandates and recommendations from the CDC and WHO, safety practices will be enacted throughout the testing process and will be dependent on local government guidelines.
Please Note: China has specific policies in place based on local guidelines. If you are taking an exam in China, please click here.
For candidates who are planning to travel another in state, province or country to take your examination, please review our travel advisory notice here.
The following sections outline these procedures and assume observance of social distancing via local government guidelines:
1. Arrival and Check-In Procedures
Prior to entering the test center building, test takers will be required to do the following:
- Bring and wear a mask during the entirety of their time at the test center or your exam will be terminated. Both medical masks or cloth face coverings are acceptable, in accordance with the specifications established by the CDC. Masks with exhale/one-way valves are prohibited to use at the testing center, due to the lack of viral particle filtration provided by these masks. Masks with wearable technology are also prohibited. Any test taker that comes to the test center without an acceptable mask will not be allowed to test, marked as a “no show,” and will not be eligible for a free reschedule.
- Comply with any other local or federal mandates and guidelines.
- Note: if you fall into any of the following categories, you will not be permitted to test until you no longer fit the criteria:
- Have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 14-days;
- *Have been exposed to someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 14-days;
- Are experiencing flu or cold-like symptoms; OR
- **Have returned from travel to a highly infected area in the past 14-days.
Candidates needing reimbursement for canceling or rescheduling an appointment due to COVID-19 illness/impact or displacement should follow our standard escalation procedure by utilizing the Test Taker Contact Us form on the Prometric website, which offers a specific option to "Request a Refund." Candidates who wish to reschedule without paying the fee upfront should contact Prometric by phone to reschedule, where applicable by program. Turnaround time for issuing candidate refunds is 7 - 14 business days.
*Medical and healthcare professionals who have been practicing safe and preventative measures using personal protective equipment with their patients are an exception.
**Highly-infected areas subject to travel restrictions/quarantine requirements are typically identified at the local level via orders, directives, or guidelines. Please consult with local requirements on restricted travel in the location you wish to test.
During the check-in process, all Prometric test center employees will:
- Have access to masks, gloves and sanitizing materials. All test center employees will be required to wear a mask. Employees may opt to wear gloves.
- Visually check the test taker’s glasses and ID. While maintaining social distancing, masks will need to be lowered or removed momentarily for this process, specifically so that the reverse side of all test takers masks can be inspected, by clasping the sides or strap of the mask to remove briefly and then reaffixing in same manner. (IDs with expiration dates from February 1, 2020 forward will be acceptable for testing). One form of Identification will be required to be presented to the test center staff. If the primary identification presented is missing one of the following: signature, picture or expiration date, then a second ID may be requested for verification.
- Require test takers to sign in on roster sheet with a Prometric-supplied pen. The pen will then be kept by the test taker throughout their testing experience and returned at check out. Scratch paper will be used during the exam, if permitted by the test taker’s program.
- Provide test takers an assigned locker number and key to place their belongings, if needed. Test takers will retain the key, and the locker area will remain under video surveillance while the center is open.
2. Proctor & Testing Room Procedures
Prior to entering the proctoring room, the following modified processes will be enacted:
- Test takers will be required to stand on the ‘stand here’ sign or ‘X’ in place on the floor, designating a safe distance away from the test center employee (where social distancing is in place according to the local government rules).
- Test takers will be asked to show arms and ankles, as well as empty their pockets from the agreed safe distance area.
- Image capture (if applicable) will be completed from the same position. While maintaining social distancing, masks will need to be lowered or removed momentarily for this process by clasping the sides or strap of the mask to remove briefly, and then reaffixing in same manner. Certain biometric processes, such as fingerprinting and ID image capture, are currently discontinued to avoid further high points of touch.
- Test center staff will provides candidates with scratch paper and a pen, where applicable by program.
During the exam process, the following modified process will be enacted:
- Test takers will be seated in a manner that ensures applicable distancing guidelines are satisfied during testing, following local government guidelines.
- Monitoring of the test room will be done exclusively using existing DVR monitoring.
- If a break is permissible according to the exam program rules, center staff will follow established end of exam processes and will ensure the path is clear to exit. Test takers should raise their hand for both breaks and questions.
- For locker access during breaks, the same process applied during check-in will be followed. Test takers will be instructed to only access lockers for food, drink, and medication, with the exception of programs with full access.
- Test center staff will record the time in and out of the test room, removing the need for the test taker to sign the roster.
3. End of Test Procedures
Once the exam is complete, the following modified processes will be enacted:
- Test takers will be asked to return to the reception/admin area to complete their sign out process.
- Test center employees will then:
- Have the test taker return to the reception desk to sign out with the Prometric provided pen.
- Instruct test takers to provide all plain colored scratch paper and place them into a secure bin.
- Allow test takers to go to their locker to collect personal items.
- Step away to allow test taker to sign out/return the locker key.
Final cleaning procedures will require:
- Test takers to place their pen and locker key in a holding tub prior to leaving the facility, in order for these to be cleaned for the next test taker to use.
- Test center staff to use gloves when cleaning the used pens and putting them back into circulation at the end of the day.
- Test center staff to clean all surfaces, including every workstation, admin desk, and proctor desk, between each test taker and at the start and end of each day.
- Test center staff to securely destroy all used scratch paper prior to leaving the test center.
Please note that these procedures will be subject to change as necessary. To help enhance the no-touch experience, access to water fountains has been disabled. We recommend bringing your own water to store in one of our lockers while you test.
We have fully reviewed all test center operations and continue to reinforce expected actions at all test centers around the world that will mitigate the risk of spread of the virus at these locations. These procedures include cleaning high-touch surfaces (ex. test stations, keyboard keys, mouse, etc.) before we open, in-between each test taker, and at the end of the day, and providing disposable wipes so that common surfaces can be wiped.