NCTRC Testing Information - The NCTRC Certification Exam is only available to individuals who have established professional eligibility or who have current CTRS status. Learn more about the tests offered by Prometric by visiting NCTRC.
Do you have a condition or situation that requires testing accommodations? The National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) is committed to provide an equal testing opportunity for all candidates registered for the NCTRC certification exam. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and equivalent Canadian provincial acts, NCTRC makes reasonable testing arrangements for candidates with documented professionally diagnosed disabilities.
Accommodations must be approved prior to the scheduling of an exam appointment.
All candidates requesting an exam accommodation are required to submit a completed accommodation application packet consisting of the Accommodation Request Form and the Professional Accommodation Verification Form. Please visit www.NCTRC.org for the NCTRC Testing Accommodations Guidelines and Applications document. NCTRC must receive the completed accommodation application packet at least one (1) week prior to the exam registration deadline.
Once you have been approved for testing accommodations, you will receive email notification and instructions on how to make an appointment. DO NOT attempt to schedule any exam appointments until you receive email notification that accommodations have been approved.
Please Note: Candidates do not need to request testing accommodations for specific items indicated within the Permissible Items document. However, if any other accommodations are needed that are NOT listed, the formal testing accommodation request process indicated previously must be followed.
You are required to present one form of current, non-expired primary identification, bearing both a signature and recent photo in order to test. You will not be admitted to the exam without the proper identification, and there will be no refund of your exam fee. The name on your identification must be the same name that appears on your NCTRC record.
Acceptable forms of primary ID are limited to:
- valid driver’s license with photo and signature
- valid state or government-issued ID with photo and signature
- valid passport with photo and signature
RESCHEDULE / CANCEL POLICY
Rescheduling an Exam Appointment with Prometric within the same Exam Window
Candidates with testing accommodations must call the Testing Accommodations Advocate at 800-967-1139 to reschedule. Do not leave a message on the answering machine; doing so does not constitute official notification. Fee structure for rescheduling an exam appointment:
- Rescheduling up to 30 days prior to the scheduled exam date: no fee will be charged;
- Rescheduling between 5-29 days prior to the scheduled exam date: $35 fee will be charged by Prometric;
- Cannot reschedule less than 5 days before the scheduled exam date.
Canceling a Scheduled Exam Appointment with Prometric
Candidates with testing accommodations must call the Testing Accommodations Advocate at 800-967-1139 to cancel. Do not leave a message on the answering machine; doing so does not constitute official notification.
Fee structure for cancellation of an exam appointment:
- Cancellation up to 30 days prior to the scheduled exam date: no fee will be charged;
- Cancellation between 5-29 days prior to the scheduled exam date: $35 fee will be charged by Prometric;
- Cancellation less than 5 days before the scheduled exam date: forfeiture of the entire exam fee.
NCTRC Reschedule/Cancel Policy:
- Failure to arrive at the exam appointment or arrival of more than fifteen (15) minutes after the scheduled start time of the exam will result in the forfeiture of the entire exam fee and the Authorization to Test (ATT) will be invalidated.
- Failure to make an appointment or if you cancel an appointment for an exam once you are issued an Authorization to Test (ATT) number will result in a $25 rescheduling fee to be issued a new ATT number for a new testing window.
- Request for a refund of the exam fee will be restricted to a 50% reimbursement regardless of when in the exam cycle the request is sent to NCTRC. The only exception to this policy is if the refund is associated with an exam cancellation of less than 5 days prior to the scheduled appointment date which then will result in the forfeiture of the entire exam fee.
- All exam withdrawal refunds will be issued following the completion of the testing window.