How to Become Eligible
You must have registered and paid for your examination(s) with American Board of Opticianry and National Contact Lens Examiners prior to scheduling your testing appointment at a Prometric Testing Center. Please carefully review the information contained in your Confirmation Notice. If any of the information is incorrect or if the information has changed, please contact American Board of Opticianry and National Contact Lens Examiners at 1.800.296.1379, e-mail: www.abo-ncle.org
There are now two ways to take your exam. Depending on the exam you are eligible to take, you have the option to take your exam either in a Prometric Testing Center or through a remotely proctored internet enabled location of your choice where you must provide a computer with a camera, microphone and an internet connection.
Your Eligibility ID is still required to schedule your exam.
Schedule Your Exam
- To schedule your exam at a Prometric Testing Center
You can schedule an examination appointment at any time online or by calling 1-800-977-3926 between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. (ET), Monday through Friday.
Notice: The following exams must be taken in a Prometric Testing Center. These exams cannot currently be taken by remote proctor:
- American Board of Opticianry Practical Exam ABOP
- National Contact Lens Examiners Practical Exam NCLEP
To schedule online:
- Select “Schedule my test” from the options on the left hand side.
- Enter your eligibility number and the first 4 characters of your last name.
- Select Test Center, Date & Time for your exam – This completes the scheduling process.
- Select Schedule for your exam.
After scheduling your exam, please review your appointment confirmation email to ensure that you have the correct exam, date, time, and testing location.
- To schedule a Remotely Proctored Exam
Notice: The following exams can be taken in Prometric Testing Centers or by remote proctor:
- National Opticianry Competency Exam Advanced - NOCE Advanced
- Contact Lens Registry Exam – Basic
- Contact Lens Registry Exam – Basic (Spanish)
- Contact Lens Registry Exam - Advanced
- National Opticianry Competency Exam Basic - NOCE Basic
- National Opticianry Competency Exam Basic - NOCE Basic (Spanish)
Confirm your computer’s compatibility to allow remote proctoring first. Remote exams are offered using Prometric’s ProProctorTM application online. For a remotely proctored exam, you must supply a computer which must have a camera, microphone and an internet connection and be able to install a lightweight app prior to the test event. You will be able to take the exam online while a Prometric proctor is overseeing the examination process remotely.
To confirm that your computer and network will allow testing through ProProctorTM, click here.
It is highly recommended that you view the ProProctorTM User Guide, click here.
If you select to take a remotely proctored exam:
- If a bathroom break is taken, the timer continues to run, and your exam will be reviewed by ABO-NCLE and any suspicious activity may reverse your exam results.
- You may use a white board during a remotely proctored exam. You must supply your own white board, up to 3 dry erase marker(s) and eraser. The white board must be white in color and no larger than 8 ½ x 11 inches. You must erase all notes at the end of the exam. The Proctor will check to ensure all notes are erased.
Notice: Before you schedule your exam by remote proctor, you must verify with your state licensing board that taking a remotely proctored exam has been approved for licensing purposes.
If you require any test accommodations, please contact 1.800.296.1379, e-mail: www.abo-ncle.org
Candidates should strongly consider taking an online practice examination. The practice examination consists of 50 questions that have each been reviewed by ABO & NCLE subject-matter experts. Questions on the practice examination are similar to those used on the actual examination. Each exam will be 1 1/2 hours in length.
Passing a practice exam does not guarantee that you will pass the actual certification exam. It is a tool, being provided by ABO and NCLE, to help you measure your progress in your preparation for the certification exam.
These practice exams have been specifically designed to help you become comfortable with a multiple-choice, timed exam in the same format as an actual ABO and/or NCLE Exam, and provide guidance as to potential areas of focus in preparation for the NOCE and CLRE Examinations. The fee for each practice exam is $45.
To participate in the practice exam:
- Click on "Register" to create an account;
- Complete the form and submit. You will be immediately issued your login credentials. Please make sure to save the login credentials for future reference.
- Once on your Dashboard click on test name you want to take.
- Payment will be requested. Enter your credit card information and submit.
- Once the credit card is approved, you will be presented with the exam.
- If you already have a login click on "sign in" to enter the testing site.
What to Bring to the Testing Center
You will be required to present one valid, government-issued photo ID with a signature (e.g., driver's license or passport). If you are testing outside of your country of citizenship, you must present a valid passport. If you are testing within your country of citizenship, you must present either a valid passport, driver's license, national ID or military ID. The identification document must be in Latin characters and contain your photograph and signature. All other personal items must be locked in a locker for test security purposes, so please limit what you bring to the testing center.
What to Expect on Exam Day
We have enhanced the exam layout to improve navigation through the exam. We recommend you become familiar with the new layout prior to your exam date. A tutorial is now available to preview the navigation functions including the highlight feature, the strikeout feature, the calculator and marking questions for review. To access this tutorial, please visit www.prometric.com/TakeSurpassTutorial
Important Test Day Reminders
- Review your appointment confirmation email to confirm your appointment time.
- Arrive at the testing center at least 30 minutes prior to your appointment time to allow time for check-in procedures. If you are late in arriving, you will not be allowed to test and will forfeit your exam fee.
- Review driving directions. Allow sufficient travel time including traffic, parking, locating the test center, and checking in. Depending on the location of the testing facility, additional parking fees may apply. Prometric does not have the ability to validate parking.
- Bring a valid, non-expired government-issued ID in Latin characters with a current photo and signature. The name on the identification must be the same as the name that appears on your exam application.
- Consider bringing your own soft earplugs or use the test center-provided headphones.
- No breaks are scheduled during the exam. Candidates may take a break as needed, but may not leave the testing facility and will not be given extra time on the exam.
If you wish to change your exam date or time, you will be charged a fee each time you change the date and time of your exam prior to your appointment using the Reschedule/Cancel option on this Web site. Prometric's Regional Registration Center (outside North America); the Web is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
In order to schedule online, you must provide an e-mail address. Prometric will send you an e-mail confirming your appointment. If you do not have an e-mail address, please call the appropriate Regional Registration Center.