How to Become Eligible
You must have registered and paid for your examination(s) with American Board of Opticianry and National Contact Lens Examiners prior to scheduling your testing appointment at a Prometric Testing Center. Please carefully review the information contained in your Confirmation Notice. If any of the information is incorrect or if the information has changed, please contact American Board of Opticianry and National Contact Lens Examiners at 1.800.296.1379, e-mail: www.abo-ncle.org
Schedule Your Exam
You can schedule an examination appointment at any time online or by calling 1-800-977-3926 between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. (ET), Monday through Friday.
To schedule online:
- Select “Schedule my test” from the options above.
- Enter your eligibility number and the first 4 characters of your last name.
- Select Test Center, Date & Time for your exam – This completes the scheduling process.
- Select Schedule for your exam.
After scheduling your exam, please review your appointment confirmation email to ensure that you have the correct exam, date, time, and testing location.
If you require any test accommodations, please contact 1.800.296.1379, e-mail: www.abo-ncle.org
Candidates should strongly consider taking an online practice examination. The practice examination consists of 50 questions that have each been reviewed by ABO & NCLE subject-matter experts. Questions on the practice examination are similar to those used on the actual examination. Each exam will be 1 1/2 hours in length.
Passing a practice exam does not guarantee that you will pass the actual certification exam. It is a tool, being provided by ABO and NCLE, to help you measure your progress in your preparation for the certification exam.
These practice exams have been specifically designed to help you become comfortable with a multiple-choice, timed exam in the same format as an actual ABO and/or NCLE Exam, and provide guidance as to potential areas of focus in preparation for the NOCE and CLRE Examinations. The fee for each practice exam is $45.
To participate in the practice exam:
- Click on "Register" to create an account;
- Complete the form and submit. You will be immediately issued your login credentials. Please make sure to save the login credentials for future reference.
- Once on your Dashboard click on test name you want to take.
- Payment will be requested. Enter your credit card information and submit.
- Once the credit card is approved, you will be presented with the exam.
- If you already have a login click on "sign in" to enter the testing site.
What to Bring to the Testing Center
You will be required to present one valid, government-issued photo ID with a signature (e.g., driver's license or passport). If you are testing outside of your country of citizenship, you must present a valid passport. If you are testing within your country of citizenship, you must present either a valid passport, driver's license, national ID or military ID. The identification document must be in Latin characters and contain your photograph and signature. All other personal items must be locked in a locker for test security purposes, so please limit what you bring to the testing center.
What to Expect on Exam Day
We have enhanced the exam layout to improve navigation through the exam. We recommend you become familiar with the new layout prior to your exam date. A tutorial is now available to preview the navigation functions including the highlight feature, the strikeout feature, the calculator and marking questions for review. To access this tutorial, please visit www.prometric.com/TakeSurpassTutorial
Important Test Day Reminders
- Review your appointment confirmation email to confirm your appointment time.
- Arrive at the testing center at least 30 minutes prior to your appointment time to allow time for check-in procedures. If you are late in arriving, you will not be allowed to test and will forfeit your exam fee.
- Review driving directions. Allow sufficient travel time including traffic, parking, locating the test center, and checking in. Depending on the location of the testing facility, additional parking fees may apply. Prometric does not have the ability to validate parking.
- Bring a valid, non-expired government-issued ID in Latin characters with a current photo and signature. The name on the identification must be the same as the name that appears on your exam application.
- Consider bringing your own soft earplugs or use the test center-provided headphones.
- No breaks are scheduled during the exam. Candidates may take a break as needed, but may not leave the testing facility and will not be given extra time on the exam.
If you wish to change your exam date or time, you will be charged a fee each time you change the date and time of your exam prior to your appointment using the Reschedule/Cancel option on this Web site. Prometric's Regional Registration Center (outside North America); the Web is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
In order to schedule online, you must provide an e-mail address. Prometric will send you an e-mail confirming your appointment. If you do not have an e-mail address, please call the appropriate Regional Registration Center.